Monday, July 22, 2013

CIMT - Day 21

DONE!


Mr. Blue came off today!


Mighty Man is so brave.  He wanted me next to him, but he didn't show any fear of the noisy saw.


He stretched that arm and wiggled those fingers!  Freedom!

It was interesting to observe his use of Lefty the rest of the day today.

I sat his snack of crackers on his right side, thinking he'd automatically go back to using his right hand, now that it was available.  He reached over his body with his LEFT HAND and picked up a cracker and lifted it to his mouth!  I couldn't believe what I was seeing!  I don't think he realized what he was doing either...until he used his right hand to push his left hand into the right position to get the cracker in his mouth.  Then I heard him whisper in realization that he had Righty available now, "Oh yeah." with a  and reach for the next one with Righty.

Score 1 for 21 days of repetition at meal time!

Then, at dinner, Dad loaded the fork with a bite and placed it on the left side of Mighty Man's plate...and sure enough, he reached for it with Lefty.

Score 2!

He wanted to wear his sunglasses outside this evening, so Dad handed them to him to put on himself.  He used both hands together so beautifully, that an objective observer wouldn't even have noticed anything atypical.

Wahoo!  This sort of Bi-Manual activity is the goal!

I'm trying to think of things to do better or differently next time.

Before that time comes, I'll be gathering more information about the best timeframe for CIMT.

Since I had psyched myself up for just 14 days, and then decided at the last moment to shoot for 21 days, I think it deflated my sails a little.

I'll also plan new activities for each day instead of winging it.  We didn't prepare a long time in advance for this. (I've been avoiding it.) I finally decided we needed to do it, and our calendar was fairly open for the necessary time, so we did it.

I'm going to find a way to get a CIMT Day Camp near me!

Thanks for reading along.  I'll keep posting...just maybe not every day!

1 comment: