Friday, July 5, 2013

CIMT - Day 4

Mighty Man is awesome.  He has THE BEST attitude.

He had been using the cast to turn on light switches, but today my husband observed him reach up and purposefully use Lefty to flip the switch.  He gets SO EXCITED for himself when he accomplishes something new with Lefty.

What an honor to be his mom.

We have figured out that food-on-a-fork works best. Even if it's food typically eaten without a fork, like cinnamon rolls or pizza.  He can get finger food to his mouth, but it's hard to release it, and he has chomped on his finger a few times.  Poor dude.
You can see the natural position of the left hand here, the ulnar deviation, that we are trying to help by using the red Benik splint.

He helped me put the wooden building blocks away, I think he managed to pick up and place 10 in the bag all on his own. 
It was a challenge.


As we were putting those blocks in the bag, I had an idea for a triceps extension exercise.  The wooden building blocks were too heavy, but I grabbed a smaller bag that had 20 alphabet blocks.  It weighed 11.6 ounces.  We got 2 sets of 5 reps in!

I'm glad I hadn't cleaned all the toddler toys out of the house!  I have kept several that are favorites, or that I could imagine would be helpful to encourage Lefty.  He had a great time putting these cars on the track and pushing the button to make them go.
Even with this, he needed a little help pushing the button and getting the cars lined up in the right way.

17 days to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment